The New Year is a great time to pick up some brand new skills. If you want to stay ahead of the game then check out our top insights for 2018!
1. CSS Grid
"What’s the most important thing happening in web design right now? This. Powerful layout has arrived on the web."—Chris Coyier, Co-Founder of CodePen
How we approach layout on the web is changing, and at the forefront of that change is CSS Grid Layout. This quick start guide and these courses will help you get stuck in, right now.
- CSS Grid LayoutCSS Grid Layout: A Quick Start GuideIan Yates
- CSSBringing CSS Grid Layout and Flexbox TogetherCraig Campbell
- CSS3 CSS Grid Projects for Web DesignersCraig Campbell
The New CSS Layout
Want to take advantage of this pivotal moment in the evolution of layout? Rachel Andrew’s new book with A Book Apart, The New CSS Layout, is an excellent introduction to a complex topic. With practical examples, Rachel breaks down every bit of the specification in a way that’s easy to understand.
One of the big selling points of Vue is that it’s easy to learn if you already know HTML and CSS. The versatility of Vue is great for small and large-scale web apps alike. On top of all this, it’s blazing fast!
Learn Vue.js with our complete Vue.js tutorial guide, whether you're a seasoned coder or a web designer looking to pick up new front-end development techniques.
Get coding with Vue in no time.
- Vue.jsGet Started With VueLawrence Turton
- Vue.jsCode a Quiz App With Vue.jsDerek Jensen
- VueWeb Designers: Here’s Why You Should Learn VueJonathan Cutrell
3. Adobe XD
Adobe XD is fast becoming the web designer’s graphic tool of choice. It allows for designing, prototyping, and collaborating with others, all from within one application!
Get stuck into Adobe XD and learn icon design, prototyping, landing page design, and more with these four courses.
- Adobe XDThis Is Adobe XDDaniel White
- Adobe XDPrototyping an App With Adobe XDDaniel White
- Adobe XDLanding Page Design With Adobe XDDaniel White
- Adobe XDIcon Design With Adobe XDDaniel White
What better time to absolutely master the fundamentals?
5. Accessibility for Everyone
The time has come to make the web an accessible and inclusive place for everyone. Laura Kalbag’s new book with A Book Apart, Accessibility for Everyone, brings to a head the idea that making the web useful for everyone is the responsibility of all web professionals.
She deftly guides you through the accessibility landscape so you can understand disability and impairment challenges; get a handle on important laws and guidelines; and learn how to plan for, evaluate, and test accessible design.
A Beginner’s Guide to Web Accessibility
You can build on your understanding of accessibility and start making improvements immediately with our course, A Beginner’s Guide to Web Accessibility.
Whether you’re a designer, developer, project manager, or CEO, this course will help you realize that accessibility is worth the time it takes to make improvements, and it’s not much extra effort if added into the workflow of a project.
- Web AccessibilityA Beginner's Guide to Web AccessibilityJohn Hartley
- AccessibilityBuilding an Inclusive Web: Why Accessibility MattersSami Keijonen
6. Designing in the Browser
Browser-based applications are becoming more and more prevalent, and their viability for use in web design is steadily increasing. Sure, they might not have the full grunt of desktop-based applications, but they can still be very powerful regardless, and they come with perks you typically won’t find in regular software.
Read our guide to browser-based web design applications, or get stuck in and try out Gravit Designer and Figma in our courses.
- Browser AppsState of Browser-Based Web Design Applications: 2018Kezz Bracey
- Gravit DesignerGravit Designer Quick StartKezz Bracey
- UI DesignIntroduction to FigmaAdi Purdila
Start Learning With an Elements Subscription
You can start watching all these video courses and read all the eBooks in our library straight away with a subscription to Envato Elements. For a single low monthly fee, you get access to our eBook library and our growing collection of over 1,000 video courses on Envato Tuts+.
Plus you now get unlimited downloads from the huge Envato Elements library of 420,000+ creative assets. Create with unique fonts, photos, graphics and templates, and deliver better projects faster.