Are you unsure if you should change your WordPress site's username? Do you need guidance on how to change your username in WordPress?
Having the correct username on your WordPress site is crucial. It helps create a professional image for your brand or website and can affect your site's security.
Luckily, WordPress makes it easy to change your username. But you must change your name correctly to avoid any issues.
In this article, I'll guide you through changing your username in WordPress, including why you may want to do so, the steps to take, and what to keep in mind after making the change.
Whether you're a beginner or an experienced WordPress user, this article will help you easily change your username and maintain your site's security.
Why You Should Change Your WordPress Username
One of the most important reasons to consider changing your username in WordPress is for security purposes.
Your username is often the first line of defense against hackers who try to gain unauthorized access to your website.
If your username is easily guessable, such as "admin" or "your name," it can make it easier for hackers to launch a brute-force attack and gain access to your site.
Changing your username to something unique and challenging to guess can make it much harder for hackers to break into your website.
Another reason why you may want to change your username in WordPress is personal preference. When creating your site, you may have chosen a username that no longer reflects your brand or identity. Or maybe you don't like your current username and want to switch it up.
Changing your username can help align your username with your personal or professional goals.
Your username can be crucial in building your brand identity and creating a professional image for your website. If you're using your website for business purposes, having a professional username is essential to establish credibility and build trust with your audience.
Changing your username to something more aligned with your brand or business can create a cohesive and consistent image across all your online platforms. It can also make it easier for people to find and remember your website.
Step-by-Step Guide to Changing Your Username in WordPress
Changing your username in WordPress is a straightforward process that can be completed in just a few simple steps.
Here's a step-by-step guide to changing your username in WordPress:
1. Install the Username Changer Plugin
A default WordPress install won't let you change the username, so we'll need to install a free plugin to access this functionality.
On your WordPress dashboard, go to Plugins > Add New and search for the plugin Username Changer.
Click on the Install Now button and then click Activate when the plugin is installed.
2. Go to Your Profile
Now that the plugin is installed, we can change the username.
Click on your profile in the top-right corner of the screen, and then select Edit My Profile from the dropdown menu.
3. Change Your Username
Scroll down to the Username field, click on the Change Username link, and type in your new username. Make sure that your username is unique and not the same as an existing username.
4. Save Your Changes
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Update Profile button to save your changes.
5. Log Out and Log Back In
Log out of your WordPress account, and then log back in using your new username and existing password.
Your username has now been changed in WordPress. It's important to note that changing your username does not affect your website's URL or any existing content. It simply changes the name associated with your WordPress account.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Changing Your Username
While changing your username in WordPress is a simple process, there are a few common mistakes to avoid to ensure a smooth transition.
Here are some mistakes to watch out for when changing your username:
- Not updating your display name: When you change your username in WordPress, it does not automatically update your display name. Ensure you update your display name to match your new username to avoid confusion.
- Forgetting to update links: If you have linked to your website with your old username, update those links to reflect your new username. This helps avoid broken links and makes it easier for people to find your site.
- Not informing other users: If you have multiple users on your site, tell them of your new username to avoid confusion or issues.
- Choosing a weak password: While changing your username can improve your site's security, selecting a solid and secure password is also essential to protect your site from potential threats.
Factors to Consider Following a Change in Username
Updating Your Display Name
After changing your username in WordPress, updating your display name to match your new username is important. Your display name is the name that appears publicly on your website, such as in author bios or comments.
First, go to your WordPress dashboard to update your display name in WordPress.
Next, click on your profile in the top-right corner of the screen, and select Edit My Profile from the dropdown menu.
Scroll to the Display name publicly as field, and select your new username from the dropdown menu. Your display name can differ from your username, but keeping them the same for consistency is recommended.
Finally, go to the bottom of the page and click the Update Profile button to save your changes.
Updating Any Links or References to Your Old Username
Another essential thing to keep in mind after changing your username in WordPress is to update any links or references to your old username. This includes links to your website from other sites and any internal links on your site.
Here are some steps to follow to update any links or references to your old username:
- Update external links: If you have linked to your website from other sites using your old username, you will need to update those links to reflect your new username. You can do this by contacting the site owner and asking them to update the link or redirecting your old username to your new one.
- Update internal links: If you have linked to your site using your old username, you must also update those links. This can be done by going through your site and manually updating links to reflect your new username.
- Check social media profiles: If social media profiles are linked to your website, update those profiles to reflect your new username. This can help to create consistency across all your online platforms.
Discover Top WordPress Plugins
Take your website's performance to the next level by incorporating top-notch WordPress plugins. The articles below provide tons of information on excellent plugins that you can start using right away.
- 5 Best Security Plugins for WordPressKingsley Ubah24 Jan 2023
- The Best WordPress Plugins of All Time (Free and Paid)Franc Lucas28 Jul 2022
- 20+ Best Popup & Opt-in WordPress PluginsDaniel Strongin31 Aug 2022
- Best WordPress Contact Form PluginsNona Blackman09 May 2022
Change Your WordPress Username With Confidence
Changing your username in WordPress can be a simple but important step in maintaining the security and professionalism of your website.
Whether you're changing your username for personal preference or professional branding purposes, choosing a unique and memorable name that accurately reflects your brand identity is important.
When changing your username, be sure also to update your display name and any links or references to your old username to avoid confusion or inconsistency.
Finally, double-check your website's functionality to ensure everything works. Following these steps, you can change your username in WordPress and maintain a secure and professional online presence.
Take advantage of an Envato Elements subscription. It has creative assets that are valuable for all WordPress site owners.