In this quick tip I’ll show you how to fix cropped shadows and overflowing elements that you sometimes get in Figma. This can be a common issue when you create a group, or apply auto-layout to specific elements.
Fixing Cropped Shadows or Overflowing Elements
Here’s a complete video version of this Figma quick tip. Don’t forget to subscribe to our Envato Tuts+ YouTube channel for tutorials, free courses, and more!
Begin With an Object
Let’s assume that you’re creating a button, and you add an auto layout to it so that the proportions can stay true even when scaling. Give it a color, and a sizeable drop shadow:
Then duplicate the button, select both versions, then apply an auto layout to the both of them.
Immediately you can see that the drop shadow has been cropped around the objects. It’s visible between the button, but nowhere else.
When you create an auto layout group in Figma it’s done by making a frame from the objects in question. The boundaries of frames are clipped by default, so we need to turn that off.
With the objects selected, go to the properties inspector and deselect the Clip contents checkbox:
The same applies to overflowing objects. For example, these buttons are themselves within a frame. And if we want them to be visible beyond the boundaries of the frame we’d need to make sure Clip content for the frame is unchecked.
That’s How to Fix Cropped Shadows and Missing Overflowing Elements in Figma
For more Figma quick tips, check out the resources listed below!
- FigmaEssential Figma Shortcuts for Working EfficientlyAdi Purdila
- FigmaQuick Tip: How to Use Adobe Illustrator Files in FigmaKezz Bracey
- Figma4 Ways to Resize Elements in FigmaAdi Purdila
- FigmaA Quick Guide to Figma’s Image Fill SettingsAdi Purdila
Figma Resources and Assets (Free and Premium)
Get inspired with these roundups of UI and UX kits for Figma, Graphics, Icon kits, and more!
- FigmaThe Best Free Figma Resources: Templates, Icons, UI Kits, and MoreTomas Laurinavicius
- Figma21+ Best Premium UI Kits for Adobe XD and FigmaPaula Borowska
- Wireframing17 Must-Have Wireframe Templates and UI Kits for Your Design LibraryBrittany Jezouit
- WireframingUX/UI Kits to Speed Up Your Design ProcessEric Karkovack
- UI DesignBest-Selling UX and UI Kits for Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, XD, and FigmaIan Yates
Envato Tuts+ tutorials are translated into other languages by our community members—you can be involved too!Translate this post