How you update a WordPress theme depends on whether you want to batch update multiple themes at once or just a single theme at a time, and whether your theme was purchased from a location such as ThemeForest / Envato Market or came from the free repositories.
In this tutorial we’ll learn how to update a theme in WordPress three different ways, so you’re all set for any of the aforementioned scenarios:
- How to Update WordPress Themes via the Updates Page
- How to Update a Theme in WordPress’ Themes Page
- How to Update a WordPress Theme Through the Envato Market Plugin
1. How to Update WordPress Themes via the Updates Page
This is the best method to use if you need to batch update themes installed from the free repositories.
- Go to the updates page either by clicking the update icon in the top toolbar, or going to Dashboard > Updates in the admin sidebar.
- Scroll to the Themes section.
- Check the box for the theme(s) you wish to update, or click the Select All box at the top:
- Press the Update Themes button.
2. How to Update a Theme in WordPress’ Themes Page
This is the best method to use to update a single theme installed from the WordPress repositories.
- Go to Appearance > Themes in the admin sidebar.
- Locate the thumbnail of the theme you wish to update.
- Click the Update Now link in the light colored banner at the top of the thumbnail.
3. How to Update a WordPress Theme Through the Envato Market Plugin
If your theme was purchased from ThemeForest / Envato Market, and the theme developer has added support, you can handle updates through the Envato Market plugin.
Full instructions for use can be found on the plugin’s information page, but in short the process is:
- Install the plugin
- Input your Envato API Personal Token in the plugin’s settings page so you can securely connect to the update server
- When you want to update a theme, go to the plugin’s themes tab and click the Update Available button along the top of the theme’s thumbnail. Alternatively, once the Envato Market plugin is in place you can update purchased themes using either off the above two methods
So there you have it, three seamless and efficient methods that answer the question of “How to Update a Theme in WordPress?”
Remember to always keep your themes up to date to ensure you have the latest additions for both security and feature sets.
Learn WordPress Basics
We have all kinds of beginners tutorials for WordPress users right here on Tuts+:
- WordPress ThemesWhat Is a WordPress Theme?Kezz Bracey
- WordPressHow to Launch a WordPress SiteAdi Purdila
- WordPressWhat WordPress Theme Is That?Kezz Bracey
- WordPressHow to Change Your WordPress ThemeKezz Bracey
- WordPressHow to Backup Your WordPress SiteAdi Purdila
- WordPressHow to Uninstall WordPressSajal Soni
Subscribe below and we’ll send you a weekly email summary of all new Web Design tutorials. Never miss out on learning about the next big thing.Update me weekly
Envato Tuts+ tutorials are translated into other languages by our community members—you can be involved too!Translate this post